What sort of insurance do I have?

Your Citroën Euro Pass contract includes a comprehensive insurance policy including accident, fire, theft and third party cover with no excess. Refer 'Insurance & Assistance' section for more information.

Do I need an International Drivers Permit (IDP)?

An International Drivers Permit (IDP), in conjunction with your Australian driver’s licence, is compulsory in some European countries, and highly recommended in others.
For the relative small cost, compared to the overall cost of your holiday, we recommend that all customers obtain and use an IDP in conjunction with their Australian driver’s licence.

If I book a car that is too small/big can I upgrade/downgrade on arrival?

As your vehicle has effectively been built for you and registered/insured in your name, it is not possible to upgrade or downgrade on collection. It is therefore imperative that you choose your size of vehicle carefully.
You are welcome to take your passengers and luggage into your nearest Citroën/DS dealer to ensure you fit, before you place your reservation.


Where can I drive my vehicle?

The list of countries where you can drive your vehicle are listed in our Booking Terms & Conditions available on our website under the Menu option Booking.

Can I take my vehicle on a ferry?

Yes, this is fine.

Do I have to service my car?

Your Citroën or DS vehicle will require a service at either 20,000kms or 30,000kms depending on the model. Refer to the service card delivered with your vehicle. Servicing can only be done at a Citroën/DS garage.

Do I get a full tank of fuel on collection, like with a rental car?

No – this is one key difference. You will receive just 10-15 litres of fuel in your vehicle, so you should make a fuel station your first stop. This also means that you can return your vehicle with as little fuel as possible. 
Note: there is the possibility to pre-purchase your first tank of fuel - click here for more information.

What if I have a problem with the car during my holiday?

The first thing you do is call the 24/7 Citroën Assistance call centre and they will guide you based on the process and limits offered as part of your contract. Your travel plans may have to be modified slightly depending on where and what has occurred.
Refer 'Insurance & Assistance' section for more information.

I am travelling with children – what is the rule with regard to child seats?

The rule in France is that all children under 10 years must be in a child restraint, based on their weight. Other countries may have different rules so please ensure you make yourself aware of these.
Refer Accessories for child seat information.
Note: you are purchasing them, so they are yours to keep.
Alternatively, you can take your own child seats as long as they meet European regulations.

What are the age limits for drivers?

The minimum driver age is 18 years and you must hold a full Australian drivers licence.
There is no maximum driver age limit.

Should I book a petrol or diesel vehicle?

Petrol vehicles are usually cheaper up front, but you do spend slightly more on fuel in Europe.
Diesel vehicles are usually more expensive up front, but you spend slightly less on fuel while in Europe, plus the cost of diesel is generally slightly cheaper than petrol.
If you are leasing a car for more than 4-6 weeks a diesel is possibly your best option, however this does depend on how many kilometres you intend to drive.

Do you provide 'winter' vehicles?

No. All of our vehicles have standard tyres only.
Click here and read the section "Winter Driving" if you intend travelling Nov-Mar/Apr.

Where can I find detail on road rules and road signs through Europe?

Click here.


Is it true that my vehicle will have red licence plates?

Yes this is correct and is a requirement for all tax-free lease vehicles so that customs can pick them out and make random checks to ensure no one is cheating the system.
Some customers feel the red plates are an invitation to thieves, however we have found from experience that thieves are very adept at picking out tourists no matter their mode of transport (eg. coach tours, trains, rental cars and even Europeans on holiday in their personal car).
The key is that you are vigilant, trust your instincts, have very good travel insurance and never leave anything of value in an unattended vehicle.


Can you please tell me more about the different toll roads in Europe.

There are toll roads throughout Europe and the way they work varies.
- In most countries you pay as you get off toll roads - with the piece of paper obtained when entering the toll road telling the toll booth (either manned or not) where you entered (and when - so take care with your speed as you can get a speeding ticket if you have driven too quickly between toll gates!).
- In Switzerland, Austria and Slovenia however, you must purchase a sticker (at fuel stations near the border, or customs offices at the border) and display it on your windscreen. Failure to purchase a vignette will incur an on-the-spot fine of at least EUR150.
- In Portugal, new "electronic" toll roads have been introduced. Click here for more information.

We suggest you Google “toll roads in Europe” (pay as you go) and “vignettes in Europe” (sticker on windscreen) and choose the Wikipedia results for the most reliable information.

Note: debit cards are not usually accepted. Plenty of small notes/coins and standard Visa/Mastercard credit cards are recommended - as well as plenty of patience and a sense of humour.

www.viamichelin.com is a good website that can give you approximate toll costs between cities.

If I want to keep my car for longer – how do I do this?

Click here for more information on prices and procedure.

I have booked a car with in-built GPS - how accurate will it be?

It is widely accepted that a GPS is about 90% accurate. With this in mind, we recommend you take a detailed road atlas with you, and you never enter a road/street as directed by your GPS if there is signage showing otherwise.

Who can drive the vehicle?

A Citroën Euro Pass vehicle can only be registered in one name. That person is referred to as the Contract Holder.
Click here for full details on who can drive.

Will my vehicle come with all the equipment required by individual countries?

Your vehicle will come with an emergency triangle and one safety vest. The safety vest must be stored inside the vehicle (not in the boot). If a situation requires you to exit your vehicle on the side of a road you must put on a vest before leaving the vehicle.

Any other equipment that may be required in some countries are your responsibility. Click here.